5 Phenomenal Places To Experience Christmas In India.

• 12

5 Phenomenal Places To Experience Christmas In India.

‘Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle All The Way!’

Just listening to this Christmas carol sends everyone into a jolly and festive mode. The smell of the freshly baked muffins and cakes, the bells, the tree, warm greeting and the Christmas tree, everything sets us grooving to the Christmas tune. India doesn’t celebrate Christmas like the Wild West does, however we have our unique ways or celebrating the spirit of the festival! These are the best places to celebrate Christmas in India. From Shimla’s white Christmas to Kokata’s cheerful “Bada Din” to Goa’s Portuguese influenced festival, there are many ways to soak the Yuletide spirit in India. So, put on your travelling pants and your Santa Cap and experience India differently.

Goa

christmas-in-goa
Photograph By India Travel Blog

Goa tops the list of places where the Christmas celebration cannot be missed. It is majorly a Christian dominated area and is known for its historical churches and tradition. To top this, it is also one of the favorite spots for year-end parties like Sunburn and Supersonic. But for the locals, this is the time when Goan homes and bakeries make sweets such as Dodol (Coconut and Cashew Nut squares), Neureos (stuffed dry fruit and Coconut balls), Kol-kols and fruit cake.  If this year you’re planning to visit Goa during Christmas, get ready to be mesmerized by the ever so creatively decorated houses. In addition, there are family feasts with lavish meals of turkey or chicken, suckling pig, sorpotel and desserts. This food is also offered at some hotels and restaurants such as Hotel Mandovi in Panjim. The festival season officially ends with a service and procession on January 6, or the Feast of the Magi, when three kings came to pay obeisance to the infant Jesus.

ALSO READ: 10 Offbeat Things To Do In Goa

Kolkata

christmas in india
Photograph By Maamati Manush

The city of joy becomes brighter and livelier during the Christmas season. Being the capital of the British government until 1911, it has a long and vibrant history of celebrating the festival. In Kolkata, reside a sizeable community of Anglo-Indians who celebrate Christmas or ‘Bada Din’ as they call it. The city of joy offers a lot during this festive season, from shimmering lights at the Park Street, mass at St. Paul’s Cathedral and fruitcakes along with other traditional and exotic treats at the oldest bakeries such as Nahoum’s and Flury’s.

Mumbai

mumbai
Photograph By ScoopWhoop

Christmas is celebrated with much vigor and zest, here in Mumbai. It is one of the most popular destinations due to its historical value. There are a large number of Christians residing in the city. The midnight mass organized by a vast number of churches is a tradition that’s been followed since ages. Stroll along the lanes of Church Gate, Hill Road and Bandra to witness brightly lit up terrific Christmas trees on the sidewalks. Dash up to make your wish count!

Kerala

christmas in india
Photograph By Kerala India Travel

Kerala, God’s own Country, is a great alternate to Goa. Known widely for its clean and beautiful beaches and a large number of churches to visit during the festive season. Kerela is also famous for its backwaters, which come with its own charm. It is a great place to just relax and enjoy the ambience of the houseboats, which proves to be a great way to celebrate a relaxed Christmas.

Pondicherry

cycling in pondicherry

‘India’s little France’ was once a French colony in India and hence the name. Again, known for the spectacular beaches and traditional churches. Programs in churches such as the ‘Church of our last immaculate conception’ and ‘Basilica of the sacred heart of Jesus Christ’ are what make it stand out from the rest of the places. The sumptuous local cuisine is another reason for you to book one of the Christmas holiday deals for Pondicherry!

Also Read : A Perfect 3 Day Pondicherry Itinerary

Hope you have a blessed festive season and a wonderful New Year! Make sure to pack your bags and head off to these amazing destinations.

-Written By Manjyot Naggi

(Featured Image Source here)

12 Comments

Michelle D.

December 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Wow! I have never even heard of some of these places in India. I’m so happy I read your blog, Goa looks absolutely beautiful and I think I’ll be adding it to my bucketlist. Great post 🙂

Punita Malhotra

December 5, 2016 at 9:42 am

Of late, nearly every large city in India has started welcoming winters with Christmas fervor, but the places you have highlighted in your post are truly the best, specially Goa, I guess

Ticker Eats The World

December 5, 2016 at 11:54 am

What a wonderful post and I think the magic of India is that we take in all celebrations and no matter our background enjoy them equally. Up north we have always had one or another Christmas market and my kids have often enjoyed decorating a Christmas tree, so yeah celebration time all around. Would love to experience Bada Din in Kolkata as I feel out of all the places you have mentioned above this one would be slightly different.

Soumya Nambiar

December 5, 2016 at 3:41 pm

You have definitely some great places to celebrate Christmas in India. Having spent few years in Kerala, every house in Kerala will have a Christmas star regardless of which religion we practice. Goa is also a good place o be during Christmas.

fouronaworldtrip

December 5, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Wow thats sounds super interesting! I never thought about if and how India celebrates the holidays and I love that you do, especially Goa sounds very nice.. would love to celebrate there somewhere 🙂

Gareth

December 6, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I have to admit, I would never have imagined that Christmas in India could be so traditional – and I mean that in the European sense – although some of these trees and decorations could definitely rival others in Paris or Germany. Pondicherry looks particularly intriguing and honestly, I had never heard of it. Certainly great for expats in India looking to experience something more like home during the festive period although I’m sure the weather will be a little warmer!

EG III

December 7, 2016 at 11:32 am

Thank you for introducing some new places like Kerala and Pondicherry. I agree with your number 1 choice though, combining the Christmas and New Year’s in Goa would make for one pretty awesome vacation.

TogetherInThailand

December 10, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I never knew that India had such cool locations for Christmas! This post actually made me really want to go to India overall…I think I would like Kerala (Maybe I’ll go next Christmas!)

sniigdha

December 11, 2016 at 12:36 am

This is an interesting festival post. I’ve had the oppertunity to celebrate Christmas in all the above mentioned places. But I’am yet to experience and witness Christmas in Pondicherry.

Gypsy soul

December 12, 2016 at 2:38 am

I have never been to India. I didn’t know they celebrate Christmas there.

jackwillams

February 19, 2017 at 5:42 pm

The post is very interesting to study and the post you have been sharing provides much more information about the best place to celebrate Christmas. Thanks for this post.
chardham yatra tour package by helicopter.

Apoorva Singh

May 30, 2018 at 11:42 am

Wonderful post,amazingly written. After reading your post I must say that you are really an amazing blogger.